Thursday, March 22, 2007

Is Cricket all worth it!?


I was hit hard by the humiliating defeat my team had suffered against Ireland. And I thought something is seriously wrong with me for taking cricket that seriously. But when I switched the News channel and watched the reactions back in Pakistan I was dumbstruck. If there is something wrong with me then I guess Pakistani nation should be given electrical chair treatment for their mental condition. They burnt the posters of cricket players, insulted our captain, coach and authorities. They even broke their televisions. Some of them have decided to throw tomatoes and rotten eggs when they arrive at the airport. Horrible.

Bob Woolmer, our coach passed away. Whatever the reason is, I just know that he is dead. Any management before never hired a coach like him. He called the players his sons. Does not his death open your eyes?. C’mon it is death.


My Captain resigned. A captain who was like a father to most of our players and was the foundation of our team. Go read the interviews of the young boys how they feel about his retirement. Our captain, Inzy took game and religion side by side. He gave religion importance like none other did before. He was known as the gentle giant. If it was bad captaincy in WC then who was behind the 19 match winning innings out of 26 that positioned Pakistan in 3rd place of ODI. Trust me if you think sensibly, even if we would have reached the final we would have lost it, because as Inzy said ‘Allah had not kept the World Cup for us’. Inzy was wrong at times but we should learn to resign to Allah’s will. Why do people have to get so over possessive about non-important things?



Cricket is just a game not life or death. And games are supposed to be enjoyed and not to be taken as religion. I started to love cricket because of Inzamam and his captaincy. And I will continue to support my team because Inzy nurtured them. May Allah bless Inzamam for all the work he has done to spread Islam be it through cricket or his personality. May Allah give people the guidance to balance their lives and know what is more important. Ameen


‘Faqat eik naam key khaatir, barey ghaatey ka souda keeya’


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post. Summarized my feelings. May Allah give Inzy lots of happiness in his future Ameen! :( Love inzy nd team!

Anonymous said...

We are a thankless nation. We forget all good deeds but cannot let go one bad. Sometimes, I am constrained to think that this habit of our nation has brought us down in all spheres of life. Allah knows when will our people behave maturely?

Anonymous said...

Ameen to the above duas

Asad Raza said...

It takes time for change to come about. Our society is ridden with various problems due to lack of education. Cricket has been one field in which Pakistan has shown itself in the past as a formidable contender, but when they lose, especially in a humiliating manner, it becomes a matter of national pride on a much greater level than simply a sport arena. Nice post. I wish others being to see cricket just a sport too.

Comicsans said...

jazakh allah for the comments everyone.
As for Ray-Zor: Jazakh Allah Asad bhai for your first comment on my blog :)